Herein one of my characters enters the public sphere for the first time. Here we go!
Beautiful People is a link-up run by the blogs Paper Fury and Further Up and Further In. The premise is that writers’ characters are beautiful people and we should get to know them. If you want to participate, check it out at either of their links above!
The first character who will be the subject of this link-up is Mirage Windsong. She is not the protagonist, but she is his twin, and much the bossier of the set, so she demanded priority. She is also a huge driver of the plot of the first book, so although her brother is protagonist for the whole series, she is very important. But I digress. . . .
On to the questions!
1. What first inspired this character? Is there a person/actor you based them off?
A very long time ago, I invented a young woman who could change into a unicorn and back. I’m not sure what inspired her. Mirage developed quite a lot from there; she is now a changeling who can turn into various kinds of animals, not just unicorns, and she has other powers. More on that below.
2. Describe their daily routine.
Mirage lives in a small house in the woods far from the nearest town (this is a medieval fantasy world, by the way), alone except for her elderly mentor, Selvren. He has raised her and taught her everything she knows about using her “mernevna” (enchanter) gifts. Lately, his health has declined, so Mirage has started taking care of him more.
3. If they joined your local high school, what clique would they fit into?
She loves learning and would definitely be a nerd. She’s pretty much a genius.
4. Write a list of things they merely tolerate. Ex.: certain foods, people, circumstances in their lives. . . .
Because Mirage knows so much, she often gets annoyed by ignorant people, especially those who think changelings are evil or a myth. She also gets annoyed with people who have bad manners, a result of Selvren’s emphasis on good etiquette. Lastly, although she loves Selvren, she can only tolerate his care regimen and the limitations living with him places on her.
5. How do they react in awkward silences?
If there is an awkward silence, Mirage will give penetrating looks to all involved and insert her own opinion, probably using several long words.
6. Can they swim? If so, how did they learn?
She has never had to swim, but she could if she morphed into an aquatic animal.
7. What is one major event that helped shape who they are?
When she was a small child, she was kidnapped from her parents and eventually ended up with Selvren. Although she does not remember this event, it has shaped her entire life so far, and will continue to do so throughout her book.
8. What things do they value most in life?
Selvren, since he is Mirage’s dear mentor and only friend. She also values knowledge (and books) and her gifts.
9. Do they believe in giving other people second chances? Do they have trust issues?
Mirage is a perfectionist. She doesn’t quite understand how Selvren can be so forgiving. She doesn’t have a trust issue, exactly; she just needs to lighten up.
10. Your character is having a rough day . . . what things do they do to make them happy again? Is there anyone they talk/interact with to get in a better mood?
She hones her skills or theorizes about a concept; anything she’s really good at. Eventually, Selvren will come and talk to her.
So there it is! My first character goes public. What do you think? Tell me in the comments!