Hello, all! It’s time for another round of Beautiful People, a link-up run by Cait @ Paper Fury and Sky @ Further Up and Further In. Beautiful People is all about getting to know one’s characters. I did this in March for my character Mirage (you can read more about her book here). This month’s featured character is her brother Crow.
So, on to the questions!
1. How often do they smile? Would they smile at a stranger?
Not very often. Crow has a tragic backstory (more on that below), so he doesn’t often have reason to smile. And he certainly wouldn’t smile at a stranger, because he is very suspicious of other people.
2. What is the cruelest thing they’ve ever been told? And what was their reaction?
He was a slave when he was a child, and has been told by various slave drivers that he’s worthless and so on. His outward reaction is defiance, but inwardly, he struggles with trying not to believe them.
3. What is the kindest thing they’ve ever been told? And what was their reaction?
Crow has only had one friend (sad, I know; how I torment him), who once told him that he was brave for standing up to the slave drivers. This has basically given him the guts to escape from slavery and be a survivor.
4. What is one strong memory that has stuck with your character from childhood? Why is it so powerful and lasting?
See number 6.
5. What book do you think your character would benefit from reading?
6. Have they ever been seriously injured? How severely? How did they react?
So this question was tailor-made for Crow, and the answer also answers number 4. When he was ten, he suffered a very severe injury (one that should have killed him), leaving a reddish, welt-like scar on his face and upper body. The memory still gives him nightmares. It’s basically his worst memory and one of his defining experiences.
7. Do they like and get along with their neighbors?
Hmm . . . well, Crow lives in the forest, so his neighbors are animals. Apart from hunting them for food when necessary, yes, he gets along pretty well with them.
8. On a scale from 1 to 10 (1 being easy and 10 being difficult) how easy are they to get along with?
Probably 9. He doesn’t like having to interact with people.
9. If they could travel anywhere in the world, where would they go?
Any dense forest far away from civilization where he could be self-sustaining. See number 8.
10. Who was the last person they held hands with?
He doesn’t remember, but most likely either his mother or Mirage, both of whom he hasn’t seen since he was four (and he’s sixteen now).
That’s it for this month! Hopefully, I will have another Beautiful People character profile for you next month.
Did you enjoy reading about Crow? Have you done Beautiful People this month? (If so, put your link in the comments!) Do you write fantasy? Do you have any antisocial characters? Tell me in the comments!