Hi, folks! It’s October, and most everyone in the writing world (except me) is preparing for NaNoWriMo. (If you don’t know what that is, just Google it.) That means it’s Beautiful Books month instead of Beautiful People. So since I’m not quite ready to unveil Circle of Fire yet, I went digging through the Beautiful People archives for ten questions to ask another character. I found the questions from July 2015, which pretty well suited Chase.
Chase is a secondary character from my new book (and as of right now I’m drafting it–yay!) Circle of Fire, which as I’ve said I’m not unveiling yet. But here’s a bit more about him anyway.
1. What’s their favorite ice cream flavor?
Cookies and cream, but vanilla is also good.
2. Your character is getting ready for a night out. Where are they going? What are they wearing? Who will they be with?
He’s probably going to a burger-and-fries restaurant with a large friend group, wearing a button-down shirt and jeans (which is his standard dress anyway).
3. Look at your character’s feet. Describe what you see there. (There’s more detailed examples to this question, but I’m just going to go with that.)
Sneakers or well-worn cowboy boots, or just white socks with holes in them if he’s at home.
4. Do they have any birthmarks or scars? Where are they and how did they get them?
Not that I can think of. Wait, actually, he probably has one from falling off a bike and skinning his knee as a boy.
5. What kind of music do they listen to? Does it change depending on their mood or is it always consistent?
Chase loves country music, especially older country, and listens to it whenever he can.
6. Do they have any musical talent? Play an instrument? How’s their singing voice?
He is fond of saying that he has zero talent or he would’ve moved to Nashville and pursued a singing career long ago, but his singing voice isn’t actually that bad, just kind of average.
7. What kind of book would you catch them reading?
Either a Tom Clancy thriller or, to be honest, a kids’ sci-fi book. (Or the Bible.)
8. How would they spend their summers (or their holidays)?
Before he *ahem* got involved with the Circle of Fire (and no, I am not going to tell you what that entails), Chase used to work summers at a horse camp for kids. He enjoys being around animals, especially horses, and would really love to have a barn, but wound up with an information technology degree because there were more jobs in that.
9. It’s Saturday at noon. What is your character doing? Give details.
Before joining the Circle, Chase would be only just rolling out of bed, turning on country radio, and grabbing a bowl of cereal (most likely Cheerios, with lots of milk and not eaten until good and mushy). Now, he’d be at work already.
10. Is there anything your character wants to be free of?
Being in the Circle, he’d really like to be free of the threat of being attacked so he could go live in the back country somewhere, keep horses, and raise a family. He’d probably also like to be free of lack of money for aforesaid reasons.
Well, that’s Chase! Are you doing Beautiful Books this month, or just sneaking into Beautiful People archives like me? Whichever it is, do please post the link in the comments so I can read your post! What do you think of Chase? And out of curiosity, how many people are interested in learning more about his book? Share in the comments!