Hello! I’m Anna. Here, in no particular order, are eight things you should know about me:
- I love books. I mean I LOVE books. I have read a lot of books throughout my (short) life, and at eleven, I started writing them, too. More on that later.
- I also love science. I didn’t realize this until I took a physical science course in eighth grade and realized how awesome things like heat and motion are. But the best science, for me, is biology. I’m a huge genetics nerd. (Seriously, I walk around trying to figure out whether DNA or RNA is my favorite molecule. True story.)
- Because of #2, I am a genetics student at the great University of New Hampshire, where I work in a seaweed lab. I should have mentioned that I am also a big plant nerd. And seaweed is underrated. Just saying.
- Back to books! My favorite genre is YA fantasy, usually Christian fantasy. This is also what I write, when I am not writing scientific things for classes.
- I was homeschooled my entire life, until fall of 2015, when I started going to college. This is probably a big part of why I love learning so much, and why I am such a DNA geek.
- I have weaknesses for cute cats and aquarium fish. My family owns a big, fluffy colorpoint cat named Milo, who often sits curled up next to me while I work on the computer. (Did I mention that I commute to college?) And, as of now, I own a betta fish, two platies, four black skirt tetras, a firemouth cichlid, and a plecostomus. (If you don’t know what a plecostomus is, go look them up right now. They’re super cool.)
- My parents are both artists, so I learned early on to love art. I have a shop at Etsy.com (linked here), where I sell pottery dishes and sculptures, painted rock animals, and jewelry. Everyone else in my family also sells on Etsy (this is my brother’s shop, this is my dad’s shop, and this is my mom’s shop). I have other creative hobbies, too. I just love doing creative things.
- I write novels. I don’t write short stories because most every idea I have spins into a grand epic.
I hope this has helped you get to know me! Here’s more on what you should expect from this blog.
Since I love books, I will blog about books. Since I also love science, I will also blog about science. I plan to post book reviews, analyses of book quotes, “translations” of peer-reviewed scientific papers so that the public can understand them (and hopefully find them interesting), and posts about my life as a novelist and genetics student. You can find me on Twitter here, Facebook here, Pinterest here, and Goodreads here. Welcome to The Story Scientist! I hope you enjoy it!